Sunday, June 19, 2011

Quotes of the Week, 6/19-6/25: Henry David Thoreau Edition

About once a month, I devote my "Quotes of the Week" post to one great thinker who has several quotes I really admire. This month is Henry David Thoreau, the 19th century author, philosopher, and co-father of the transcendentalism movement (alongside his more famous best friend Ralph Waldo Emerson...must be something about having 3 names!) Thoreau wrote "Walden: Life in the Woods" about his experiences living in the woods for over a year in a cabin he built at the price of a meager $38. He was a champion of being unorthodox, living simply and not encumbering oneself with the complicated stresses which so often seem to dominate our lives today. His writings and philosophy influenced several prominent 20th century leaders, including Mahatma Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Enjoy his wisdom!


“A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.”

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.”

"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."

“I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well. Unfortunately, I am confined to this theme by the narrowness of my experience.”

“I have accepted the motto…that government is best which governs least."

“Beware of any endeavor which requires new clothes.”

“It is a rare qualification to be ale to state a fact simply and adequately. To digest some experience cleanly. To say yes and no with authority--To make a square edge.”

No comments:

Post a Comment